Had a chat with my good friend Garry the other day and our discussion turned to belief. He's writing a book about adjusting belief systems to improve lives and ultimately make the world a better place. Quite a worthy aim, in my view.
But the point of the faith discussion is that we all, ultimately, have some faith in something. We all believe.
So I got to thinking about what level of belief we have and whether we realise it. The strange thing about belief is that many people seem to think that they have no faith or don't believe in anything.
So here's a quick rundown of some beliefs, how many could you tick as applying to you?
- Many people believe in God (I do)
- Others believe there is no God
- Some believe that belief in God is actually a bad thing
- Some folks believe that aliens abducted Elvis
- Too many people believe in the politicians
- Some people believe that everything they read in the newspapers must be true (others don't care as long as the bird on page 3 looks good)
- Far too many people believe they are a victim (and live their lives accordingly)
- Some believe that the world owes them a living
- I actually know people who believe that if you believe in something strongly enough then it will come to pass, no matter what it is
- A few people believe in karma (you get what you give etc)
- Some believe that the world will end in 2012
- An increasing number of people believe that there is no real justice
- Many people believe that you can make your own luck
- Many single people believe that their 'soul mate' or 'the one' is out there waiting them
- A few people believe that the UK is being taken over by immigrants
- I met a guy in the summer who believes that there really is a Jewish world conspiracy
- Many young people believe that to be successful you have to win X Factor or be the next David Beckham
- A lot of folks believe that having more money will bring them more happiness
- A commonly held belief is that getting a better job (or a promotion) will bring better opportunities
- Most people believe that others will keep their promises
- Large chunks of our population believe that bankers are evil and greedy
- That we evolved from primordial soup is a commonly held belief
- "I believe that children are our future, treat them well and let them lead the way..."
- Most people believe that if you work for someone they will be honest enough to pay you
- Some people believe that cosmetic surgery will make them feel happier about who they are
- A lot of people believe that property is the safest investment
- We all believe (in varying degrees) that things can only get better
Whatever your view, we all have to put faith in something and/or someone.
To deny that we, as a species, are ultimately rational and logical and thus have no faith is to deny a fundamental facet of humankind.
We all believe.
So have a think about these few quotes on belief and feel free to add your own at the bottom.
"If you believe in what you are doing, then let nothing hold you up in your work. Much of the best work of the world has been done against seeming impossibilities. The thing is to get the work done."
"There are some ideas so wrong that only a very intelligent person could believe in them."
"Man can believe the impossible, but man can never believe the improbable."
"To believe in God is impossible not to believe in Him is absurd."