Was the London 2012 Olympics worth the expense? Have a think about this:
- cried tears of joy
- cried tears of sadness
- welled up with overwhelming inspiration
- rooted for random competitors
- thrown my hands in the air
- been dumbstruck with amazement
- been proud to be British
- been ashamed of being British
- shared emotional experiences with people I'll, most likely, never meet
- lost count of the number of times I've said "WOW!"
- been outraged
- watched sports that I have no normal interest in
- been lifted
- been let down
- shown my unconditional support for Team GB
- And loads more besides...
That's just a short list of what the Olympics has done for me in the last two and a bit weeks. And I know I'm not alone on this whole emotional rollercoaster that we, as a nation, have been on.
So if anyone asks me whether it was all worth the price tag, an estimate 11 billion pounds (£11,000,000,000), my answer is a resounding "YES, it was worth every penny!" "YES, I think the Olympics was worth the expense!"